vendredi 12 novembre 2010

Fighter Biographies

I've read most Fighter autobiographies as they come out. I'm always interested in learning the back story to where these athletes come from. For the most part, I read these stories and get a deeper appreciation for who these guys are.

The first time I read a book and actually disliked the guy more (from his own story) was Matt Hughes "Made in America". I don't know if it's just that I don't connect with the redneck/farmer mentality from the mid-west USA, but that's where I began to find him unlikeable.

This also occurred recently as I just finished BJ Penn's book "Why I Fight". Let me preface by stating that I'm a fan of his fighting style and there is no doubting that he's one of the best ever. His Jiu Jitsu accomplishments are unmatched to this day and his nickname "the Prodigy" was certainly deserved. The more I read into the latter stages of the book, the more the bad rap BJ has gotten since his last GSP have proven well founded. Again, like the Matt Hughes book, this one soured me a bit on BJ. With that said, he's still a great fighter and I'm looking forward to his fight at UFC 123 vs Hughes. It'll be nice to see them beat each other up! haha!

Next book on my reading list...Jens Pulver "Little Evil". I'm told this is a great read and I'm really looking forward to it. Jens has been on a bad streak of late and retirement seemed imminent. He has however just signed to fight in Minneapolis in the new year (for a small organization). I'm hoping he pulls off a win and is able to pack it in on a good note.

UFC 122 this weekend. Not really amped up for any of the matchups in particular, but this doesn't mean it won't be a decent card. The UFC rarely puts on a bad night of fights.

Stay healthy my friends!
Yves

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire